PositionCounsel – InstitutionalMinimum 5-8 years of experience
Department/DivisionOffice of the General Counsel
Job Type/ Department **Global Recruitment
Posting DateSep 21, 2017
Closing Date *Oct 18, 2017
Counsel – Institutional
The primary responsibility of the Counsel – Institutional is to provide legal and policy advice and assistance, under the line manager’s supervision, to the Vice Presidencies of Corporate Secretariat, Policy and Strategy and the Office of the President, with a view of ensuring protection of the Bank’s interests and compliance with its mandate, policies and procedures. The Counsel – Institutional is also expected to work across functional boundaries, in particular in the area under the authority of the Vice Presidency of Administration, as assigned by the line manager from time to time.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing legal advice and support to the Vice Presidency of Corporate Secretariat and the Office of the President on the outreach to Member governments, admission of new Members, preparations for the meetings of the Boards of Directors and Governors and other governance-related matters.
- Assisting the Vice Presidency of Policy and Strategy in developing the Bank’s policy framework with a view to ensuring its compliance with the Bank’s constituent instrument and the enforceability and implementation of the Bank’s policies.
- Upon the line manager’s request, advising the Vice Presidency of Administration on corporate legal matters, including those in relation to human resources, corporate procurement and the use of information technology.
- Conducting research and drafting memoranda and correspondence concerning institutional and, as requested, corporate issues.
- Providing assistance to the development of the Bank’s internal legal framework.
- Promoting innovative approaches and seeking process and product improvements.
- Displaying good judgment and being answerable for the work product and advice provided.
- Contributing to institutional initiatives, including knowledge management and publications.
- Coordinating and collaborating in the legal field with other multilateral development banks (MDBs) and development partners to further AIIB’s work in assigned areas.
- Minimum of 5-8 years of relevant professional experience for appointment at Counsel level, with emphasis on legal issues relevant to MDBs.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent legal drafting abilities.
- Wide-ranging experience in aspects of MDB legal work.
- Intellectual leadership and strong interpersonal, diplomatic and partnership skills.
- Ability to innovate while mitigating legal risk.
- Strong communication skills, including speaking persuasively and presenting ideas clearly.
- Excellent command of English, including with drafting and negotiating legal documents in English.
- Superior level of resourcefulness, ability to work autonomously and under pressure.
- A law degree from a leading university and qualified to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
- Previous experience and qualifications will dictate the employee level in which an applicant will enter the Bank.
All current vacancies
All open positions at a glance:ALL CURRENT VACANCIES