Legal Associate Program
AIIB introduced a Legal Associate Program (LAP) with the objective of forming, in house, young lawyers to cater to the Bank’s legal needs both for private and public sector operations. It is a rotational program which identifies, hires, grows and develops young talents of the highest caliber and with the passion for international development.
The LAP will start with a two-year contract based in Beijing within the Office of the General Counsel (OGC), where the Legal Associates (LAs) engage in intensive training (on-the-job and in-classroom settings) on the fundamentals of lawyering at AIIB on development operations.
LAs will contribute to the work program of OGC’s different units while building networks and knowledge across AIIB. They may also join field missions where needed to assist senior lawyers on the frontlines of AIIB operations, learning key aspects of the Bank’s legal operational work, including engagement with AIIB clients.
LAs will receive intensive training on the policies, products and operations of AIIB to ensure they know how to operationalize AIIB solutions to operational challenges, mitigate legal risks in AIIB-financed operations and assist internal clients in preparing quality projects. LAs will also be given the opportunity to attend selected training programs on operational themes organized by the Human Resources Department.
Selection Criteria and Eligibility
The program will target highly talented and promising candidates. Selection will be conducted on as wide a geographical basis as possible. To be eligible for the LAP, the candidates must:
- Have an advanced law degree (Master’s/LLM/JD) from a recognized educational institution.
- Have a minimum of two years of full-time, relevant legal professional experience.
- Be admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction.
- Be fluent in English.
- Have passion for development and commitment to AIIB’s mission.
In addition to the selection criteria, the LA must:
- Exhibit sufficient professional independence and maturity as well as discretion and sensitivity required for operating in a multicultural setting.
- Demonstrate strong legal knowledge to support drafting legal documents with limited supervision.
- Be able to identify and critically analyze legal issues and provide solutions.
- Be able to work in teams.
- Possess strong communication skills and the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join AIIB’s mission to finance Infrastructure for Tomorrow, promote sustainable infrastructure investments and improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.