PositionSenior Social Development Specialist/Social Development SpecialistMinimum 5-10 years of experience
Department/DivisionOperational Services Department
Job Type/ Department **Global Recruitment
Posting DateJan 03, 2020
Closing Date *Jan 31, 2020
Senior Social Development Specialist/Social Development Specialist
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, we began operations in January 2016 and have now grown to 102 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond, we will better connect people, services and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.
The primary responsibility of the Senior Social Development Specialist/Social Development Specialist is to support the integration of social development dimensions into the operational work of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), recognizing the importance of this issue in development of sustainable infrastructure. The position involves (1) managing activities that incorporate social dimensions into policies, programs, projects, technical assistance and training; and (2) managing social risks and impacts in investment strategies, policies, programs and projects.
AIIB senior professional-level staff are recognized by staff as an advisory resource for a broad area of specialization or in a narrow specialized field. They contribute to strategy, analysis and policy formulation. They are experienced in their field, with practical application of broad-based professional knowledge. They have the ability to complete difficult assignments; perform professional-level research and analysis and solve complex problems in their field. Senior level staff work independently with minimal guidance; professional-level staff work under a moderate level of guidance; routinely lead complex projects; and integrate the work of other (often multi-disciplinary) professional staff. They provide guidance to professional and junior professional staff.
- Contribute to formulating and implementing the social development aspects of AIIB’s strategies, policies, programs and projects, including strategic planning and sector studies.
- Participate in the identification, appraisal, design and implementation of investment programs and projects to evaluate social feasibility assessment.
- Support the design, preparation and implementation by clients of environmental and social assessments of all types for programs and projects, including environmental and social management plans and frameworks, involuntary resettlement plans and frameworks and Indigenous Peoples plans and frameworks.
- Participate in the management of investment projects’ social risks and impacts by conducting social reviews, advisory work and compliance studies (including field-based reviews).
- Provide support in the development and monitoring of courses of action based on reviews to resolve issues concerning client compliance with the social requirements of AIIB.
- Support the coordination of the application of disclosure of and consultation on social assessments and related studies at the project level.
- Support the development of AIIB’s approach toward certain issues such as gender, labor and disability.
- Coordinate the application of project-level grievance resolution mechanisms (GRMs).
- Support the development of training on social safeguard systems for AIIB staff and clients.
- As needed, engage with civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations on social issues.
- Contribute to AIIB’s knowledge base on environmental and social aspects of projects.
- Minimum 5-10 years relevant professional work experience (minimum 8-10 years for senior level), in particular in planning and management of social development activities, either working for, or as, a government counterpart, or as staff or consultant to a multilateral development bank, bilateral donor or a private sector organization.
- Proven application of professional expertise in planning and management of social aspects (including large-scale resettlement, gender, labor and/or disability) of infrastructure programs and projects in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
- Experience with planning, preparation and implementation of project-level social assessments, including plans and frameworks of social management, involuntary resettlement and indigenous peoples.
- Experience in working with a team on project development and supervision, including project design, feasibility studies, consultations and management.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills working with the public and private sector clients, and development partners (multilateral development banks and bilateral development organizations) of AIIB in an effective, timely and professional manner in both formal and informal settings.
- Experience serving as a member of interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience in working with civil society and nongovernmental organizations.
- Willingness to spend significant time making site visits, often to remote locations.
- Experience in working with fragile states, natural disaster areas and/or conflict or post-conflict areas is desirable.
- Experience with financial intermediaries, ESG ratings or sustainable finance is desirable.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English. Knowledge of a language(s) of a country in which AIIB invests would be an advantage.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in social science, planning, law, related fields from a reputable university.
- Operational experience at the field level will be considered in the absence of a Master’s degree.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.ALL CURRENT VACANCIES