PositionEconomist, MacroeconomicsMinimum 5-8 years of experience
Job Type **Global Recruitment
Posting DateFeb 28, 2023
Closing Date *Mar 31, 2023
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 106 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
The Economics Department is responsible for economic analysis in AIIB, which includes macroeconomic monitoring, analyzing country and sector infrastructure needs, debt sustainability and project economics. The department also supports sector and investment strategies in the Bank, as well as prepares one of AIIB’s annual flagship publications, the Asian Infrastructure Finance report.
The Economist, Macroeconomics, will conduct research and analysis into macroeconomics and development related issues, as well as provide country coverage to support the activities of the Bank.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to
- Prepare regular updates and reports on country-, regional- and global economic developments,
- Conduct economic analyses and research, independently or in teams, as requested by Management, on macroeconomics, development finance, infrastructure and other pertinent issues,
- Assist in the preparation, publishing and dissemination of AIIB’s analytical reports,
- Research and prepare background material for senior Management’s engagements—including talking points, speeches, etc.—on pertinent economic and infrastructure issues,
- Assist in the organization of workshops, seminars and roundtables,
- Conduct project cost-benefit analysis for projects or undertake project reviews, as required,
- Collaborate with other departments in preparing select projects,
- Work closely with others on tasks important to the Economics Department, including by engaging with internal and external (consultants, think tanks) stakeholders.
- Minimum 5-8 years of relevant work experience in large international organizations, financial or research institutions. Prior experience in infrastructure and development economics, economic and country analysis will be an added advantage.
- Solid understanding of macroeconomics, such as macroeconomic analysis, debt sustainability, macro-fiscal and macro-financial linkages, and key statistics groups (national accounts, trade, industrial production). Interest in issues related to the global economy and development finance, and linkages to global issues such as climate change, pandemic and biodiversity.
- Experience in assessing country macroeconomic policies in a financial institution, credit rating agency, think-tank or international organization, as well as familiarity with concepts and methods used by major international financial institutions (IMF, World Bank, etc.)—will be assessed positively.
- Proficiency in common statistical software and data analysis is required. Data visualization or geospatial analysis skills will be an advantage.
- High sense of integrity, ethics and accountability; collegial spirit.
- Ability to adapt and work under tight deadlines.
- Intellectual curiosity. Willingness to learn and branch out into new areas important to the Department, for example innovative development/infrastructure finance, climate change, biodiversity, etc.
- Fluent in oral and written English.
- A Master’s degree in Economics (or equivalent). A doctoral degree in relevant field in lieu of work experience will also be considered
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency, and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability, or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.ALL CURRENT VACANCIES
* Closing Date: All opportunities close at 11:59 p.m. (GMT+8) on the dates listed.
** Job Type: Recruitment of staff is conducted through a merit-based competitive selection process. AIIB shall strive to provide employment opportunities open to all suitably qualified applicants, regardless of religion, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation or nationality.