PositionEconomist (Applied Research)Minimum 5-8 years of experience
Job Type **Global Recruitment
Posting DateNov 02, 2023
Closing Date *Dec 10, 2023
Economist (Applied Research)
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 109 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized at USD100 billion and rated AAA by the major international credit rating agencies. Collaborating with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
AIIB’s Economics Department is responsible for the Bank’s economic analysis, which includes providing thought leadership, such as preparing AIIB’s annual flagship publication, Asian Infrastructure Finance, conducting applied research (including but not limited to ex ante and ex post investment impact assessments and market structure diagnostics), projecting country and sector infrastructure needs, producing project cost-benefit analysis, monitoring country debt sustainability and other macroeconomic risks.
Going forward, infrastructure is pivotal for countries to tackle the triple challenges of economic development, climate change and nature degradation. Monitoring the progress of infrastructure expansion and deepening our understanding of investment impacts are thus critical from the analytical point of view. In addition, the private sector is taking an increasing role in infrastructure investment, but public-private-partnerships have been riddled with flaws. Offering in-depth analysis of sectoral market structure can help set the foundation for better leveraging private finance. The Economics Department is looking to hire an economist for its research and development impact pillar to provide analytical support to our operational teams and to our members.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conduct economic analysis on project impact assessment, structural estimation, market structure diagnostics and other relevant issues.
- Conduct project cost-benefit analysis or reviews, and prepare regular country and sector context updates, as requested by the project teams.
- Contribute to the preparation and publishing of AIIB’s flagship analytical reports.
- Gather relevant economic data from various sources, including government agencies, industry reports and academic research.
- Apply economic models, statistical techniques and analytical tools to analyze the collected data; identify trends, patterns and relationships within the data; conduct economic forecasts or projections if necessary.
- Create compelling data visualizations, such as charts, graphs and infographics, to help readers understand complex economic concepts and trends.
- Stay up-to-date with the latest economic research and literature related to the subject matter of the report; incorporate relevant findings and theories into the analysis.
- Collaborate with colleagues or subject matter experts for peer review and feedback to ensure the accuracy and reliability of the analysis; review and verify all calculations and assumptions.
- Assist the organization of seminars, workshops and roundtables to build up staff capacity.
- Collaborate with other departments in preparing select projects.
- Work closely with the Chief Economist and Manager on other tasks important to the Department.
- An applied economist with postgraduate degrees in economics (PhD is preferred).
- Minimum 5 to 8 years of experience, with 3 to 5 years of relevant research experience in large international organizations, universities, research institutions, think-tanks or financial institutions.
- Excellent econometric analysis and theoretical modelling skills are required.
- Proficiency in common statistical software, modelling software and data visualization, such as Stata, Python, R, MATLAB, is required.
- Strong knowledge and experience in geospatial analysis and data science will be an advantage.
- Experience in infrastructure project impact evaluation and structural modelling will be assessed positively.
- Proficiency in oral and written English and solid communication skills.
- High sense of integrity, ethics and accountability.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team setting, and to adapt and work under tight deadlines.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Join in AIIB’s mission to promote sustainable infrastructure investments and to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia and beyond.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.ALL CURRENT VACANCIES
* Closing Date: All opportunities close at 11:59 p.m. (GMT+8) on the dates listed.
** Job Type: Recruitment of staff is conducted through a merit-based competitive selection process. AIIB shall strive to provide employment opportunities open to all suitably qualified applicants, regardless of religion, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation or nationality.