PositionSenior Environmental Specialist/Environmental SpecialistMinimum 5-10 years of experience
Department/DivisionOperational Services Department
Job Type/ Department **Global Recruitment
Posting DateJan 03, 2020
Closing Date *Jan 31, 2020
Senior Environmental Specialist/Environmental Specialist
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank with a mission to improve social and economic outcomes in Asia. Headquartered in Beijing, we began operations in January 2016 and have now grown to 102 approved members worldwide. By investing in sustainable infrastructure and other productive sectors in Asia and beyond, we will better connect people, services and markets that over time will impact the lives of billions and build a better future.
The Senior Environmental Specialist will be responsible for leading the integration of environmental dimensions into the work of AIIB, recognizing the importance of this issue in the development of sustainable infrastructure. The position involves: (i) managing activities that incorporate environmental dimensions into policies, programs, projects, technical assistance and training and (ii) managing environmental risks and impacts of investment strategies, policies, programs and projects.
AIIB senior professional-level/professional-level staff are recognized by staff as an advisory resource for a broad area of specialization or in a narrow specialized field. They contribute to strategy, analysis and policy formulation. They are experienced in their field, with practical application of broad-based professional knowledge. They have the ability to complete difficult assignments; perform professional-level research and analysis and solve complex problems in their field. Senior level staff work independently with minimal guidance; specialist staff work under a moderate level of guidance; routinely lead complex projects; and integrate the work of other (often multi-disciplinary) professional staff. They provide guidance to professional and junior professional staff.
- Contribute to the formulation and implementation of the environmental aspects of AIIB’s strategies, policies, programs and projects, including strategic planning and sector studies.
- Participate in the identification, appraisal, design and implementation of investment programs and projects to evaluate environmental feasibility and the environmental assessment.
- Oversee the design, preparation and implementation by clients of environmental and social assessment of all types for programs and projects, including environmental and social management plans and frameworks.
- Appraise the environmental risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB's Environmental and Social Framework; this will include field-based reviews.
- Manage investment projects’ environmental risks and impacts by conducting environmental reviews, advisory work and compliance studies; this will include field-based reviews.
- Develop, recommend and monitor courses of action based on reviews to resolve issues concerning client compliance with the environmental requirements of AIIB.
- Coordinate the application of disclosure, grievance resolution mechanisms (GRM) and consultation on environmental and social assessments and related studies at the project level.
- Lead/Contribute to reviews of country and corporate environmental safeguard systems to determine their potential for selective partial or full use in AIIB-financed projects.
- Develop and conduct training on environmental safeguard systems for AIIB staff and clients.
- Coordinate relations with civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations related to environmental issues.
- Contribute to AIIB’s knowledge base on environmental and social aspects of projects.
- Minimum 5-10 years of relevant experience (minimum 8-10 for senior level) in environmental planning and management either working for, or as a government counterpart or consultant to, a multilateral development bank, bilateral donor or a private sector organization.
- Experience with the development and implementation of environmental strategies, policies and procedures.
- Proven application of professional expertise in planning and management of environmental aspects of infrastructure programs and projects, including in sectors such as energy, transport, water and urban development.
- Experience with the planning, preparation and implementation of project-level environmental assessment and related types of studies, including environmental management plans and frameworks.
- Strong ability to participate in project development and supervision, including project design, feasibility studies, consultations and management.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to work with the public and private sector clients and development partners (multilateral development banks and bilateral development organizations) of AIIB in an effective, timely and professional manner in both formal and informal settings.
- Experience serving as a member of interdisciplinary teams.
- Experience in working with civil society organizations and nongovernmental organizations.
- Experience in working with fragile states, natural disaster areas and/or conflict or post-conflict areas is desirable.
- Experience with financial intermediaries, ESG ratings or sustainable finance is desirable.
- Willingness to spend significant time making site visits, often to remote locations.
- Good oral and written communication skills in English.
- Master’s degree or equivalent in environmental science, engineering, planning or related fields from a reputable university.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.ALL CURRENT VACANCIES